Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Week 5, Part 2 - Games, Trains and Automobiles

*Don't worry our story isn't over, we just have not had internet in a while so expect an influx of posts for the next bit.

Our students had a great laugh about our white bummed spider story. We even had one of the students bring over a spider to have lunch with us. I obviously ended up on the other side of the playground. The spiders here must be on steroids, there is no way that is natural.

Wednesday we knew that the science and math teacher wouldn’t be here but she had said there would be someone to take over. Apparently Holly and I had done such a great job with English that we found out Wednesday morning that the people taking over would be us. Oh geez, first of all, do they not remember English? And second of all, this is science and math... Remember the joking about me helping out, I was not actually joking. Regardless we were now science and math teachers for the day. I think I asked more questions then they did but at least we made it through and the science lab is still in tact. I’m going to take this as a win and never attempt that again...

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday most of the years 11, 12 and 13 left for a coaching clinic in Hamilton so it was pretty quiet at the school for the rest of the week. We were curious to see what gym class would be like now that they weren’t doing Waka Ama and there was only about 15 people in all of years 9-13 left at the school. It was decided that they would do zumba. One of the students asked if Holly and I would be joining them and we told them there would be no way we would miss that. I had never tried zumba before and I must say it was awesome! If nothing else I got a workout just from laughing. After zumba it was decided that we would play a popular traditional Maori game. It involves people throwing the ball at a pole guarded by the opposing team while also trying to touch poles on the outside of circles while the other teams chases you and tries to tag you to get the ball away. So, basically a couple people guarding the pole will get beaten with a ball while the others will get knocked down being tagged, all this in a playground freshly rained on. Needless to say, we were covered in mud by the time we were done but we had a blast doing it. We also seemed to have entertained the years 4-6 class as they were all telling us that were watching us play from their class. We’re now officially distracting classes we don’t even teach.

Thursday evening we went for dinner at the principals house. I seemed to have gained a bug radar since arriving in New Zealand and no sooner have we sat down in the living room to relax then I spotted a praying mantis on the wall. Ah hell. I’m pretty sure we did not take our eyes of him the entire time we were sitting there. He can live as long as he stays on his side of the room. We tried to be on our best behavior but Martin and family have a similar sense of humor as us and that ended up taking over and before we know it we’re telling them all of the stories of our time here. It’s a good thing we’re already here and they have gotten to know us because anyone just meeting us would think we have a few screws loose. We just hope this doesn’t affect our evaluation. They laughed so we’re taking that as a good sign (regardless fingers crossed would be greatly appreciated). The dinner was lovely and it was great getting to know more of Martin’s family. The people here are so welcoming and hospitable that it blows our minds sometimes. Martin’s son was also nice enough to explain a bit of cricket to us. You would think I was obsessed with the sport considering the amount of people I have asked about it. It’s just so bizarre as it does not seem to have a point to it. Turns out the quick games are on average 5 hours long. Really?! Who would willingly play a sport that takes forever to play and only random people understand it? I believe they also had no idea about the sport when they started to play and by the third hour there was no turning back.

No sooner had the week started when it ended. Time goes crazy fast here and we can hardly believe we’re already in our last weekend in New Zealand. So of course I had to wake up with a cold and a voice that’s fading fast. This is what I get for talking too much the last 5 weeks. Sue (the English teacher) was kind enough to take us out for the day around the coastal areas. Good thing Holly was there because all you need to put me to sleep is a car ride so add in being sick and I was the most useless passenger of life. Holly briefed me of the scenery after we got back because I slept through most of it. The areas Sue took us to were absolutely beautiful. We made it all the way up to Port Jackson and back.

The next day Holly and I hiked it up to Driving Creek Railway because we had been constantly told it was something to see. We thought we had an idea where it was but as it turns out it was much farther then we thought it was. We luckily made it just in time but because of practically running and my lovely cold, I was a sight to see by the time we got there. Of course we end up sharing a coach with a couple other Canadians. I think we attract each other. If there is another Canadian anywhere in the vicinity, we will find each other. The views at the top were spectacular. We attempted to find Manaia but having no idea where we actually were, it didn’t work out so well.

As if taking us out all day Saturday and dealing with my cold wasn’t enough, Sue had us over for dinner Sunday night. We had lamb. I even tried it. Seriously. And it was good. Honestly. The whole dinner was fantastic and we felt overly spoiled to have two home cooked meals in one week. Another teacher from the school was also there and it was great to get the chance to chat outside the school setting. We learned about lots of interesting things including all the wonderful poisonous plants, insects, spiders, etc that Australia has to offer. I’m pretty sure Sue’s husband was personally trying to freak me out. At this point I’m not sure I’m getting on the airplane. We now only have one week to lose the passports...

No comments:

Post a Comment